Craig Penton is a Certified Family Nurse Practitioner who grew up in Grantsville and was drawn back to the Tooele Valley area, where he looks forward to serving the community’s healthcare needs. Along with all acute and chronic illnesses, conditions, and injuries, Craig has experience working with patients who struggle with different forms of mental health challenges. Craig believes mental health continues to be a health disparity for many people especially in rural areas. He is hoping to bridge the gap and provide access to essential mental health treatment in the Tooele Valley.
His view on healthcare has always been about education, empowerment and patient-centered care. Many health care decisions should be made with the patient and not necessarily for the patient. When the patient is educated and included in their care decisions, this empowers them and they become stewards over their health, which then helps him be a better partner in their healthcare.
Craig always looked up to his grandmother, who was also a nurse practitioner when being a nurse practitioner was still a new field of medical education. She was a trailblazer in a sense. Craig comes from a family of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and surgeons. Healthcare has always been a part of his life in one way or another. He hopes to establish a long-term family medicine practice in Grantsville, where he feels he can make a difference.
Craig Penton’s family medicine practice is for patients of all ages and genders.
He diagnoses and treats patients’ conditions, from simple ear or sinus infections to chronic diseases such as diabetes and high blood pressure. He also has addresses a multitude of mental health conditions. In addition, Craig will see a range of conditions, including:
- Acute illnesses in children and adults, including cold, flu, abdominal pain, urinary tract infections and backaches
- Aging-related illnesses and conditions, for example, arthritis, osteoporosis and dementia
- Chronic conditions, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and asthma
- Sports-related conditions that include sprains and strains
- Psychological conditions including depression and anxiety
- Adult and child wellness and physical exams
- Diabetes education
- Diagnostic laboratory tests
- High blood pressure management
- Minor office procedures, such as toenail removal
- Nutritional counseling, including weight management
- Onsite x-ray
- Skin biopsies
- Smoking cessation
Getting to know the Provider:
Craig is married with two wonderful children! His family loves to take vacations and swim. They have a tradition of finding rocks and shells from their vacations and brining them home for keepsakes and place them in their yard for landscaping. They consider themselves to be amateur rock-hounders! The Penton’s love hiking, glamping/camping, and growing vegetable and flower gardens. Craig is also an amateur musician and loves to play guitar.
Craig Penton's Education and Training:
- Master of Science in Nursing, The George Washington University, Washington, DC (2016)
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
- Buprenorphine Waiver Certificate: Addiction Medicine, ASM, New York (2019)
- Certified Qualified Medical Provider: Utah Department of Health, Medical Marijuana, Salt Lake City, UT (2020)