University of Utah Health
The addition of Tara Jones, MD, PharmD, as a member of the medical staff at Mountain West Medical Center is part of the broader affiliation strategy with the University of Utah Health. Dr. Jones is an Assistant Professor of Cardiovascular Medicine at the University of Utah School of Medicine and a member of the Interventional Cardiology faculty.
Dr. Jones graduated from the South Dakota State University College of Pharmacy where she received her Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 2005 and her Doctorate of Pharmacy in 2007. She then graduated from the University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine with her MD in 2012. She completed her Internal Medicine residency at the University of Nebraska Medical Center and her Cardiovascular Fellowship at the University of Washington. She subsequently came to the University of Utah to complete her Interventional Cardiology and Structural Heart Disease Fellowships.
Dr. Jones specializes in both interventional cardiology and structural heart disease cases including Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR). Her clinical responsibilities include invasive management of acute heart attacks, evaluation and management of valvular heart disease, coronary stent implantation/balloon angioplasty, and PFO/ASD closure.
She is also an active researcher, with her academic interests focused on cardiogenic shock, acute coronary syndromes, and structural heart disease. She has authored several articles in cardiovascular journals focusing on these interests.
Cardiology Conditions and Care Provided:
- Aortic Dissections
- Aortic Stenosis
- Aortic Valve Disease
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Flutter
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Fainting (Syncope)
- Heart Attack
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- PCI/Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- Shortness of Breath (Dyspnea)
- Thoracic Heart Disease
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Ventricular Septic Defect
Dr. Jones' Education and Training:
- University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, Vermillion, SD
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE - Internal Medicine
- University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA - Cardiology
- University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT - Interventional Cardiology and Structural Heart Interventional Cardiology
- Americal Board of Internal Medicine (Cardiovascular Disease and Inverventional Cardiology)
Getting to Know Dr. Jones:
In her free time, she enjoys skiing, hiking, and running.